Sunday, June 16, 2002

Went to a concert with Sarah and Kim Friday in Calgary. Thousand Foot Krutch and Alberta boys Jake opened for the Newsboys. I felt mostly like on observer until Newboys did an extend version of Breakfast during their "encore" set. That rocked. I surprised that all the kids in the crowd knew that song as it dates back to 1996. Breakfast is a Steve Taylor song that he wrote for them for Take Me To Your Leader, which Taylor produced. In my humble opinion Steve Taylor is a genius. Who else could write a funeral song that becomes a signature song for a pop/rock band?


I saw some very cool t-shirts in the crowd from, Rock For Life. I think I'll spend some time on their web site to see get a better feel for them as a group. Personally I think there is more to being pro life than just being anti abortion, but that's good place to start. One of thing I do like about Rock for Life is that they understand that the Pro Life / Abortion struggle is first and fore most a culture struggle, and the laws won't, can't change in any meaningful way until the culture does.


As Sarah was getting autographs, I got to ask the Toby,lead guy from Jake what he thought about The Disciples, a CBC Witness documentary on Christian Rock focusing on Jake. He was pretty non committal, answering that some people liked it and some people hated it. Talk about a non answer. Of course the autograph line isn't the best place to get into a serious discussion. One of the scenes in the in The Disciples shows Toby dying his hair blue and how the record label people freak out, and force him to change it back. I mentioned that I liked the blue hair and he laughed saying he thought it was a good idea at the time. So while I wish I'd gotten a strait answer on The Disciples episode, I'll give him kudos for having a sense of humor.


-Peace

No comments: