Friday, June 11, 2004

My own desert

Well, it's time for me to start thinking about my own desert/wilderness experience. That is, after all, the substance of my first assignment.

Given that I'm not as introspective as I should be exercises like this aren't easy. It seems to me that my eremos is not one of sight or of sound... but of the mind. The aspect of the eremos experience that I can currently relate to is that of leaving behind both the expectations of others and of self and attempting to listen soley to God.

In the desert you realize in order to survive you can't worry about what you "should" do. In the heat and dryness you only have enough energy and resouces to focus on the things you must do. Right now I'm trying to differentiate between those things - what I should do to please others and self and those things I must do to please God.

NOTE: I just realized I was supposed to write about our response in the desert. Unfortunately, in the desert you can't always follow your plan, you must move with the rhythm of the creation around you.

No comments: