Monday, May 29, 2006

Relax and Receive

Eugene H. Peterson on Contemplation
The imposibility of evaluatiom, at least self-evaluation, releases us into a great freedom as we read these Holy Scriptures and struggle toenjoy and receive them. We will not try too hard. We will not set outselves perfectionist goals. We won't take over. We won't inist on themeasured progress. We won't compete. Having read and meditated and prayed and continuing to read and meditate and pray, we will step backand bless, love and obey, and breathe "let it be to me according to your word." Relax and receive.
Eat This Book, page 116.

- Peace

1 comment:

Richard said...

Wise words.

I read that Lectio Divina happens best in an atmosphere of "wasting time". No programs to plough through, no deadlines of progress in the Scriptures to meet. The word of the Lord is sweeter than honey and revives the soul.

Easier said than done, at least for me. "We will not try too hard" often turns into "I will try my very best not to try too hard". It reminds me of the good (yet almost impossible to follow) advice I received in another area of life: "do not try too hard to impress the pretty girls".

Back to the subject of contemplative prayer...

The Cure´ of Ars, a French priest of the mid-19th Century, had a small country parish. Each day as he went to the confessional, he passed an old farmer, sitting in the back of the Church. Finally the Cure´ stopped and asked the old farmer what he did there each day. "Oh nothing," he said. "I just sit here and I look at Him and He looks at me, and we are happy together".