Thursday, July 15, 2004

Great Penguins! German Linux, Australian Wine

My old Dell PII 300 from 1997 had been running Win2000 for the last three years or so, but my daughter had got one too many viruses and when I cleaned them out the machine became unusable. I got the Win2000 disk from work, was told we were covered at home, but don't work there anymore so I can't re-install.

I've been insterested in Linux since my first Java app ran on it in 1998, but I've never had a reason to switch, other than just cause.

Now I have a dead Win2000 machine and it's too old for XP and I don't want to go buy a new Win2000 disk.

I also know that Linux gets hyped quite a bit, so I didn't want to waste a bunch of time on it. I googled Linux bootable CD and found out about KNOPPIX:

a bootable CD with a collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. KNOPPIX can be used as a Linux demo, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it.

Downloaded it, burned to CD (from my PC) and put it in the near dead dell. It booted, found the sound card and anounced it was 'Starting the boot sequence', then brought up the K Desktop [GUI] Environment. It also found my router and net connection and I was able to browse the web. I didn't need to tweak a single setting. I'm doing this post from Mozilla 1.6 on the old Dell. Works just fine.

Next step will be to get data off this machine, free up some serious disk space and then install a full version of Linux. Running KNOPPIX have given me hope that it's worth the time and effort. If you'd like a no risk way to give Linux a try KNOPPIX is the way.

For those who don't know TUX, the penguin is the official Linux mascot.

Wayne and Annemarie had invited me over for supper again, and I saw a billboard for Little Penguin Wine today. I checked out their web site and liked their Wine Pairing Tips. I picked up a bottel of their Cabernet Sauvignon, dry but smooth with a very pleasing taste. Went great the BQ Chicken.

What can I say I've a good run of luck with Penguins!

- Peace

2 comments:

Ian McKenzie said...

Dave, I'd be interested in hearing how the Linux setup goes. I've got a couple of older computers sitting around the place and I'd like to give it a try. I've got to convince Glenda they're "useful", not just dust catchers.

Blessings

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave,
Glad you're feeling well enough to resurrect computers. Sounds cool.
Peace,
Karen