Thursday, July 22, 2004

Belonging

I've just started, The Search to Belong: Rethinking Intimacy, Community, and Small Groups , which is based on the concept of the four spaces of belonging, and so far it seems like an interesting book.  Alot of it so far has to do with debunking the current theories of small groups.  Namely that they're the be-all and end-all of church life.  Basically, he's arguing that there are other ways to experience a significant sense of community within the church apart from small groups.  In fact, the other ways are actually necessary as ends in themselves not just as stepping stones to small group involvement.

Personally I'm finding it is helping me think through my various relationships, both their significance to me and the way I interact within them.  He's helping me see the importance of all my relationships not just my intimate ones.  That's good considering that's what he's trying to accomplish in this book.  I'm also discovering I'm most comfortable in the personal space, which is good to know. 

1 comment:

Dave King said...

cool, your post poped into the WRW top 10.

- Peace