Wednesday, September 03, 2003

Jen did a post on the Interview Meme, answering a set of questions and offering to interview others, and in a moment of weakness I said sure. Jen's questions and my answers follow.

Jen: You're Canadian, which means that you stereotypically live in an igloo and travel from place to place by dog sled. You interact with moose and beavers on a daily basis and say "eh" at the end of every sentence. What are some of your favorite stereotypes of Americans (now that I've listed every Canadian one that I can think of)?

DJK: I guess my favorite stereotypical American would be the blissfully oblivious American as seen on Talking to Americans with Rick Mercer.

Jen: What is "ideajoy"?

DJK: Well "ideajoy" would be a variable name, where as "IdeaJoy" is a class. See the Java naming conventions. It's seven letters that returned no documents from Google when I changed the name from Ideola. It reflects the interaction of the mind and spirit. If we had a logo it would be a dove and lightbulb.


Jen: If money was no concern and you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and what would you do?

DJK: Two answers to that
1) Bike across Canada, Victoria to St. Johns. It's about 7000 km. I'll do 1200 km biking this year so if I had three – four months and was in slightly better shape I could do it.
2) Tour Africa, see Kenya, visit my sister who is looking to live in Angola.

I have a career goal to work out side of North America for at least six months. When I travel, I don't feel it's been a good trip unless I get to spend a significant amount of time talking to local people. I don't ever see my self just doing sight seeing.


Jen: You live in Calgary. Are you into rodeo stuff? Have you been to the Stampede?

DJK: Been in Alberta since 1988 and have yet to go to a rodeo. However you can't avoid the Stampede if you are in Calgary that week. Each year my daughter and I make it to a least one of the hundreds of Stampede breakfasts for pancakes and sausages. Our church holds it's carnival day during Stampede and I've helped out with that. Last year we did go down to the fair grounds. The only part I really enjoyed was the western art exhibit. For rides Calaway Park or West Edmonton Mall are better deals.


Jen: Why do you blog?

DJK: I've been on the net since the early nineties. To me it's the latest, and I'd say best form of online discussion. A set of interlinked blogs have a natural way of keeping the signal to noise ratio high. People don't link to a noisy blog. I believe one of the strengths of the net is many to many communication, Other wise it's just a poor substitute for TV.

I am obviously in love with reading my own writing.



The Interview Meme

1. If you want to participate, leave a comment saying "interview me."
2. I will respond by asking you five questions — each person's will be different.
3. You will update your journal or blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview others in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions

- Peace

No comments: