Friday, April 01, 2005

Love isn't your life it's your job!

That's the key line from Hitch. It's a truly funny romantic comedy / buddy flick, but it's that one line that's stayed with me. Hitch is about a 'date doctor' who coaches guys on how to sweep the woman of their dreams off their feet, but gets in over head when he meets his own dream woman. Sounds cliche I know, but it was a ton of fun.

But that one line has stayed with me, especially as I read the first half of Run With The Horses by Eugene H. Peterson. The title is taken from Jeremiah 12:5

If you have raced with men on foot
and they have worn you out,
how can you compete with horses?
If you stumble in safe country,
how will you manage in the thickets by the Jordan?
Jeremiah could have been satisfied with safe feel good pop religion. Instead he was called to painful messages of judgment and real hope. In both cases the question is do we play it safe, take the job and skip the life? Or do take the risk, and live hard?

Peterson is convinced that this call to Run with the Horses is for all of us, not just the fiery prophet. For me today, that's hard. It's hard to imagine running with horses in an anonymous hotel room on a trip that's been mostly pointless.

Wish I had a better conclusion to this, but that's where I'm at.

- Peace

No comments: