Monday, April 11, 2005

Drunkard's Prayer

At the intersection of folk and jazz, just a block over from torch, there's an intimate little place where Over the Rhine has recorded their new album Drunkard's Prayer. It's musically and emotionally rich album filled with love songs for adults. The type of material that should come with a warning, instead of the juvenile stuff that normally does. Love, laughter, longing and tears given life by the sweet, lush, emotive voice of Karin Bergquist.

This album comes out of the near collapse and resurrection of the love between Karin and her band mate and husband Linford. See the liner notes. It's an honest expression of struggle and love, not an abstract emotional manipulation. From Born

Pour me a glass of wine
Talk deep into the night
Who knows what we'll find

Intuition, deja vu
The Holy Ghost haunting you
Whatever you got
I don't mind

Put your elbows on the table
I'll listen long as I am able
There's nowhere I'd rather be

Secret fears, the supernatural
Thank God for this new laughter
Thank God the joke's on me

Give rest of the lyrics a read too, its pure poetry.

I brought the album home from Atlanta, and Kim has claimed it as her own. There are few albums that we both like so being able to cuddle up and listen to a mature romantic album that we enjoy together is a real treat.

- Peace

No comments: