Thursday, November 14, 2013

2200km: 60km short, 11 days late & 1 broken crank

Langevin Bridge at 2200kmHit the 2200km mark on Monday.  For those keeping score, I wanted to hit 2200 before the end of Oct.   Didn't happen.

My shoulder was bothering me after Not Exactly Goat Creek, leaving me 60km short at the end of Oct.

Returned from San Francisco to all out winter conditions here in Calgary.  Commuter bike wasn't winterized yet, did get a few KM with the mountain bike, but it was a slow start to Nov.

Got the bike winterized and started to make good progress, when I wiped out while heading towards FishCreek park.  One good thing about biking in snow is that wipe outs can be gentler than on pavement.  No damage to me, but managed to destroy my left crank.

Walked the bike to Pedal Head, called Kim to pick me up.  Went home to get the mountain bike and headed into work (taking the bike on the train most of the way, was running way too late).  Headed out after work to get the final few km to make 2200km before taking the train home.

Now there are two voices in my head, one says I can still make 2600km by the end of Nov and 3000km by the end of the year.  The other says I could be happy with making 2600km by the end of the year, as that would be 100km over last year.

For the optimistic voice to win, I'll need weather, bike, health and self discipline to stay in alignment.  I'll need to hit 2300km by tomorrow (Friday the 15th)  , 2400 by Wed the 20th, 2500 by Tue the 26th & 2600km on Sat the 30th.

Good news is I'm on track to hit 2300km by tomorrow.  Thanks to PedalHead for getting the bike back to me in <48 hours.  We'll see how long I can keep up this pace.

- Peace




No comments: