Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Of Lost, Narnia and the Other Story

"Oh, Aslan," said Lucy. "You don't mean it was? How could I? I couldn't have left the others and come up to you alone, how could I? Don't look at me like that, oh well, I suppose I could. Yes, and it wouldn't have been alone, I know, not if I was with you. But what would have been the good?"
Aslan said nothing.
"You mean," said Lucy rather faintly, "that it would have turned out all right somehow? But how? Please, Aslan! Am I not to know?"
"To know what would have happened, child?" said Aslan. "No. Nobody is ever told that."
"Oh dear," said Lucy.
Prince Caspian - C. S. Lewis

Watching Lost Season Six Premier last night I couldn't help but think of the response Aslan gives more than once in the Narnia Series, of the stories we're not told. Lost has chosen to tell the other story, what would happened if flight 815 hadn't gone down and it was very well done. It gave a deeper understanding of why Jacob could put people on doomed flight. I don't know how Lost will finish, the beginning of the end was well done.

Another Narnia quote along the same lines.
“I do not call you unfortunate,” said the Large Voice.
“Don't you think it was bad luck to meet so many lions?” said Shasta.
“There was only one lion,” said the Voice.
“What on earth do you mean? I've just told you there were at least two
the first night, and-“
“There was only one: but he was swift of foot.”
“How do you know?”
“I was the lion.” And as Shasta gaped with open mouth and said
nothing, the Voice continued. “I was the lion who forced you to join
with Aravis. I was the cat who comforted you among the houses of the
dead. I was the lion who drove the jackals from you while you slept. I
was the lion who gave the Horses the new strength of fear for the last
mile so that you should reach King Lune in time. And I was the lion
you do not remember who pushed the boat in which you lay, a child near
death, so that it came to shore where a man sat, wakeful at midnight,
to receive you.”
"Then it was you who wounded Aravis?"
"It was I"
"But what for?"
"Child," said the Voice, "I am telling you your story, not hers. I
tell no one any story but his own."
"Who are you?" asked Shasta.
"Myself," said the Voice, very deep and low so that the earth shook:
and again "Myself", loud and clear and gay: and then the third time
"Myself", whispered so softly you could hardly hear it, and yet it
seemed to come from all round you as if the leaves rustled with it.
The Horse and His Boy

I understand what Lewis is saying and agree for the most part. However at times we get glimpses of the other story, and though never the full story they are still important so I'm enjoying the indulgence of the other story in Lost.

- Peace

No comments: