Thursday, September 06, 2007

Time

8:00 AM The hotel alarm clock didn't go off as expected. It reads 8:00. I noticed the dot indicating PM. Sigh, I should have left a wake up call. No problem, I'm not meeting Kim Reid till 9:00 and it's just a couple of metro stops away. Must not have slept well, I feel tired. Hotel beds. Or maybe it was the call my wife got on her cell, someone looking for Alex at 10 PM Alberta Time, Midnight in Montreal. Shower, Dress.

8:30 AM Out of the hotel, find the Peel Metro Station get directions to Atwater Station. Off at Atwater. Kim said look for the old Montreal Forum, now an AMC Movie / Pepsi building. Look for Eggspectation. Found the forum, the Canadians' C Logo on the sidewalk. Circle the block.

9:00 AM Can't find Eggspectation. No sign of Kim. I have his cell number. That's odd my cell says 7:00 AM. Must have flipped back to Alberta time, it was having trouble sending text messages last night. Leave Kim a voice mail, wondering where he is.


9:30 AM Still no sign of Kim. Walked around the block a couple of times. Leave Kim a voice mail, something has gone off track but would still like to get together while I'm in Montreal. Head across the street to Mc D's.

7:42 AM I notice the receipt for breakfast says 7:34 AM. My phone isn't on Alberta time. Kim's not late, I'm two hours early. I'm tired cause I got up at 6:00 AM not 8:00, the clock was off fourteen hours not twelve. Must have messed it up setting the alarm. I have no idea what Montreal should look like at 7:00 AM vs 9:00 AM. The amount of sunlight, the traffic and people patterns mean nothing to me.

9:00 am Kim shows up, we have breakfast at the old forum. He was wrong on the name of the place. He laughs as I explain the voice mails. We have a good conversation till well after 11:00.

- Peace

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a really cool stream of conciousness... Each of the different times gives a brief but vivid glimpse at the course of events. You've only put in the necessary information, which I think works well with the style fo your writing. Time has to be one of the more difficult things to convey in writing because it is a concept of such great magnitude. How easily does 1000 years in a history book become only 1000 years. So much can happen in minute, that 1000 years can quickly become an irrelevant point of reference. Your writing conveys well the sense of urgency and also the utter feeling of fixation in time that waiting inevitably produces. Cool story Dave!

Dave King said...

Thank you anonymous. I've enjoyed much of your work :)

As I'm used to speaking, and being able to do so much with presentation, I find my writing is sparse. Glad to know it worked here, but in other places I'll need to work on it.

- Peace

Anonymous said...

PS didnt itend on posting that anonymously, but I think it adds to the mystery and this way I dont have to take responsiblity for the lack of editing and hideous typos (I am a victim of spell check) :) BTW I am reading the writing life, and I am quite in love with it!

Dave King said...

My dear friend and woman of mystery,

I'll be the last one to pick on someone for bad editing or typos :)

Glad you're you're enjoying the writing life.

- Peace