Saturday, March 06, 2004

Tooker Gomberg dead at 48

I knew Tooker for our time at CJSR back in the early 90s. Tooker did a weekly environmental news show. He was Edmonton's best known radical environmentalist.

Memories of Tooker

A dance party at the garnish community center. Tooker brought a big box or organically grown BC cherries to share. And Tooker was among a group of guys, all of us with our shirts off who danced on the deck in a heavy summer rain.

Learning to do bike maintenance at a free training session put on by Edmonton Bicycle Commuters - a group Tooker passionate in promoting.

Eating hole wheat pancakes at the Alberta Legislature for a bike commuter rally.

A friend got me to do sound for an evening of performance art at EcoCity. As things were wrapping up I played The Violet Burning cd Strength. Tooker's life partner, Angela was moved was by the words I am my beloved's, and he is mine..

Helping to put together signs for Tooker first scuffle election company. Of course the signs were recycled from Tooker's previous campaign

The scandal when he was elected and refused to wear a tie to the swearing in ceremony.

And how he didn't understand the fuss when he showed up at a black tie Caribbean Community event in his every day clothes. Tooker wasn't cut out to be a career politician. I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

When unofficial bike lanes were painted overnight on Edmonton streets, people just knew Tooker was behind it. And too his credit some of the un official lanes did become designated bike lanes.

After he lost he re-election bid Tooker left Edmonton, to go on his Greenspiration! world tour. And I lost track of him. He'd pop up in the news from time to time. He ran against Mel Lastman for mayor of Toronto and came in second. And then this mornings headline.

I've spent some time catching up with Tooker via goggle.

Thinking about Tooker I can't help but wish I was as radical a christian as he was an environmentalists. Tooker's life was about figuring out how to get people to change they way they live so we can clean up the planet. I wish I spent that type of energy trying to figure out how to love.

- Peace

No comments: