Sunday, November 23, 2003

Job 6 15 - 20

But my brothers are fickle as a gulch in the desert--
one day they're gushing with water

From melting ice and snow
cascading out of the mountains,

But by midsummer they're dry,
gullies baked dry in the sun.

Travelers who spot them and go out of their way for a drink,
end up in a waterless gulch and die of thirst.

Merchant caravans from Tema see them and expect water,
tourists from Sheba hope for a cool drink.

They arrive so confident--but what a disappointment!
They get there, and their faces fall!

This morning it struck me how this is the flip side to what Jesus said to the woman at the well

Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

John 4:13-14

Not sure that means anything, other than I like contrasts.

- Peace

No comments: