Monday, February 10, 2003

Unlike the mute in the kitchen

In our small group we're reading Luke, last week we made it through Chapter 1. Durring the discusion there was an interesting compairson between Zechariah and Marry.

Zechariah told by the angel Gabriel that he and Elizabeth would have a child, asks "How can I be sure of this? I am an old man and my wife is well along in years." Gabriel replied "now you will be silent and not able to speak until the day this happens, because you did not believe my words".

Marry on the other hand, told that she will bear a son by "power of the Most High", responds with "I am the Lord's servant, May it be to me as you have said."

when Marry goes to visit Elizabeth and Zechariah, Elibeth, filled with Holy Spirit, greets Marry.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear!
But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?
As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.
Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!"

As that last line was read, I pictured Elizabeth raising her voice so that Zechariah, in the next room, would be sure to hear. Could it be that Zechariah was being gently mocked by his wife and the Holy Spirt? No idea, but it was a fun picture.

- Peace

No comments: