Wednesday, November 20, 2002

I just finished Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard. I spent more time thinking about it than actually reading it. Most of the time it was to savor a beautiful scene or thought that she had expressed. Though once in a while it was because she completely lost me. Reading Pilgrim is a vocabulary expanding experience to say the least.

What I enjoyed most about the book is how she takes both the beauty and horror of the natural world and wrestles with them. She spends time with the monarch butterfly and it's amazing migration, and parasites that eat their host from the inside out. She mixes in science, religion, and personal observation with a grace I have not encountered in other works. The pilgrimage through Tinker Creek is a trip worth taking.

-Peace

No comments: