Monday, July 14, 2003

Now the Truth Can Be Told: Steve Taylor on what happend to Squint Entertainment

Steve Taylor gives his first interview on why he had to leave Squint at Cornerstone 2003. Here are the highlights.

In the fall of 2000, Roland [ed: guy who did the original deal with Steve] was pushed out of his position at Word. I guess the best way to put this would be in biblical language: the new pharaoh knew not Steve.

So Word decided to sell Squint. Big Idea tried to buy Squint with Steve, but as we know now Big Idea had a cash crunch funding Johna. And that was the end of that.

So what's he doing now? Is there any hope for a new album?

Those of you who are wondering what I've been doing for the last two years, I've been working almost exclusively, especially for the last nine months, on film projects. One of them sounds suspiciously like something you've heard before, but I really think this one is going to happen. We're supposed to start shooting in January. It's decent budget, $2.1 million dollars. The trick about movies, of course, is it takes so much money to make them. You can't go into your own studio and record something for $15,000, or something like that. You have to find people with money, and I'm not very good at that, as you know. But I think this one is going to happen.

You'll hear all about the project when it's announced, but that's supposed to be shot in January. Even these two concerts were a little bit awkward because movie people are used to hearing ideas from music people, but they just look at it as a hobby. I think they are inherently suspicious of music people wanting to get into movies. I've had to go out of my way to make sure that everybody knows I'm not doing music anymore, that this film pursuit is real, that that's what I'm doing with all my time. I've managed to burn most music bridges behind me and I'm sure I'll be going back to those people and saying, listen it was just a joke. I made a terrible mistake. So I've put everything on making this film happen. It it's any good, maybe I'll get to do another one, and it it's not, it'll be my fault because there is certainly enough money to make something decent. So that's my plans for the near future.

Ok so at least the sound track should be cool, and being a total Steve fan, the movie (if it gets made) should rock.

Bonus quotes :
Steve on Country Music:

In country music, we have one genre, country, and we have one set of radio stations, and we all just are aimed at that one group of radio stations. ... I'm thinking, yeah, that's why country music, like, sucks completely


Steve on the Music Industry

the record industry is so corrupt and is founded on so many wrong foundations. And those get piled up on top of bad foundations to where it's just a very corrupt industry


Steve on fans getting the old albums

if you want to get them off the Internet, I have no problem with that, go ahead. They are not available, have at at.


-Peace
Dave

PS I'm the Dave mentioned at the begining of the article. And I asked the 1st and 3rd "Audience" questions.

No comments: