Sunday, December 08, 2002


If the tender yearning is gone from the advent hope today, there must be a reason for it; and I think I know what it is, or what they are, for there are a number of them. One is simply that popular fundamentalist theology has emphasized the utility of the cross rather than the beauty of the one who died on it. The saved man's relation to Christ has been made contractual instead of personal. The "work" of Christ has been stressed until it has eclipsed the person of Christ. Substitution has been allowed to supersede identification. What he did for me seems to be more important than what He is to me. Redemption is seen as an across-the-counter transaction which we "accept", and the whole thing lacks emotional content. We must love someone very much to stay awake and long for his coming, and that may explain the absence of power in the advent hope even among those who still believe in it.


- Excerpt from A. W. Tozer

Small personal connection: when my dad was a young man working in Toronto he spent some time as A. W. Tozer's driver. Mr Tozer had agreed to do some preaching for my dad's church, but only if someone could drive him and my dad volunteered.

-Peace

No comments: