Wednesday, December 24, 2003

I've written the voice over for the beginning of tonights candle light service. Comment if you wish.

I'll read it, using a mike, we start off in total darkness.

Physical darkness, it doesn't impact us they it used to. We have all sorts of lights: street lights, headlights, house lights, flashlights, and automatic night lights. But for the ancient cultures of the north this time of year meant one thing, the night was at it's longest. But there was hope, the light was coming back, it was time to celebrate.

For a 1000 years the Church has celebrated this time of year as the coming of the great spiritual light. John opens his Gospel with theses words:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4In him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.


John also records Jesus saying

I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.


So tonight we light the Christ candle in Celebration of of the light of world.

We also light the four advent candles that celebrate four dimensions of walking in the light.

Hope - our hope is in Christ the redeemer, who as the great artist reworks and restores our lives into works of his art. There is nothing in our lives Christ can not redeem for good, if we are willing.

Peace - Issiah over 700 hundred years before the birth of Jesus Prophesied

For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.


Jesus promised

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid


Joy– is more about running in the light than walking, it's the excitement of knowing God is for us, not against us, it's the picture of the angles lighting up the sky with glad tidings, it is David the ancient King who grew up in Bethlehem declaring

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.


Love– the love of Christ is one that loves us without condition, and calls us to do the same, to love our enemies, to love our rivals, our bosses, even our in laws.

While Christ is light of the world, for all people and all times, each of us have a unique story in his light, we've asked three people to share part of their story tonight, as we light more candles.

- Peace

No comments: