Monday, May 31, 2004

It's a little long, but I think this quotatin does a decent job of summarizing Peterson's point in Under the Unpredictable Plant.

"...I was with a person who treated me with great dignity. Or, more particularly, he treated my God-interest, my prayer-hunger with great dignity...It was accomplished by means of Reuben's prayerful listening. He had nothing to tell me, although he freely talked about himself when it was appropriate...Reuben assumed a stance of wonderment. In his company, I also began to enter into wonder. For his attentiveness was not to me, as such, but to God. Slowly his attitude began to infect me - I gradually began to lose interest in myself and got interested in God in me."

Although this book is about the vocation of a pastor, this seems like a good stance for all Christians to aim for.

No comments: