Thursday, April 17, 2008

10 great Christian rock songs. Really.

From the New York Times Living With Music Blog, Daniel Radosh writes

This is a list of 10 great Christian rock songs. Really. I know what you’re thinking. I’m a secular Jew who always took it for granted that Christian rock stinks. Indeed, until a couple of years ago I knew virtually nothing about Christian rock except that it stinks. But after spending time inside the “evangelical bubble” I had to admit I was mistaken. It turns out there’s Christian music that never gets played on those radio stations you accidentally stumble across on road trips — and that doesn’t reduce all expressions of faith to crass evangelism, anodyne praise, or crypto-romance.

Skeptics can listen to the songs for themselves here.


Here's the list whit my comments

1) Why Don’t You Look Into Jesus?, Larry Norman. Norman - I really should add some Norman to my collection, just for completeness sake.

2) Kiss Me, Sixpence None The Richer - Love the band, though this is one of their weaker songs.

3) Born, Over the Rhine - one of the best songs from a great Band.

4) Every Grain of Sand, Bob Dylan - Really should have more Dylan in my collection.

5) The Lust, The Flesh, The Eyes and The Pride of Life, the 77s - as blogged here!

6) Rapture, Pedro the Lion - I don't think you can pick out one PtL (how ironic) song - the Albums need to be taken as a whole - though I would have gone with Big Trucks if I had to pick one song.

7) Nice and Blue (Part 2), mewithoutYou - the one band on the list I've never heard of, will have to check them out.

8) My Apology, Jonathan Rundman I got this song as a download form Paste back in the day, of the songs I have it's the weakest in the list.

9) You Know That (Is Nothing New), Vigilantes of Love - Not sure if I have this tune but VoL tune I have is good.

10) Come On, Andy Hunter one of the few places where Kim's music taste and mine meet. I was playing SSX 3 and Kim walks in the room and says that's Andy Hunter music. She was right, she'd googled for Christian techno and found his site. Sarah and I got to groove to his set at CStone 2005 - tons of fun.

- Peace

No comments: