Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Thinking about Michal

In Leap Over a Wall Peterson takes us through 2 Sam chapter 6. In the chapter Uzzah is killed by God when he tries to prevent the Ark of the Covenant falling of a cart. Peterson makes the case that this is not isolated incident of Uzzah, that he’s been trying to control and manage God for years. We just see him at the end of his story.

That got me thinking out Michal and how she criticizes David at the end of the chapter

How wonderfully the king has distinguished himself today--exposing himself to the eyes of the servants' maids like some burlesque street dancer!

And the chapter ends with this comment 'Michal, Saul's daughter, was barren the rest of her life.' I’ve always heard that has God’s judgement of Michal. Not a stated judgement but implied. This weekend I’ve been wondering about an alternate iterpetation: Michal had no children because her love relationship with David ended that day.

Michal was David's first wife. She loved David helping him escape Saul murderous rage. That was ten years before. Ten years that David spent in the wilderness. Ten years that Michal spent as a princess in Saul’s court. After David fled for his life Saul ordered that Michal be married to Palti. David relaims Michal when he returns form the wilderness but he also returns with a second wife. I think it's fair to say their relationship was under some serious stress. Not sure what that changes if anything. For me it adds depth to the story.

I also wonder about David’s response to Michal

by these slave girls you spoke of, I will be held in honor

I’m not sure why by I read that as a double entendre.

- Peace

No comments: