Wednesday, May 07, 2003

Saw Holes with my daughter, I loved how the movie integrates two powerful ideas


Those of you who are left will waste away in the lands of their enemies because of their sins; also because of their fathers' sins they will waste away. - Leviticus 26:39



I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. Matthew 18:18


The first is that our fate is bound to the fate of previous generations. The second is that we have a powerful impact on the world, the people around us. Holes tells a multi family, multi generational story of how our lives are interwoven. It's a movie that shows a chain of suffering from hate, greed, refusal to forgive and failing to keep commitments.

But it's not a bleak story, the web of suffering can be broken by forgiveness, loyalty and a willingness to see the blessing in hardship.

As a movie it's a well told, well acted, and a lot of fun. Go see it.

-Peace
Dave

PS The novel Holes has been a run away hit in schools, with many teachers reading it to their class. Most adults haven't heard about it. I first heard of it through What In Tarnation? So when the ads came on TV and my daughter said she wanted to see it, I was able to say “sure I've heard it's good”, and came off looking hip, Thanks Christopher.

No comments: