Thursday, May 11, 2006

Recursive Jesuits

A Jesuit priest was speaking of his struggle to break his smoking habit/addiction. He tried and failed many times. One day he realized that he failed repeatedly because he was not willing to be changed (addicted). Furthermore, he realized that he was not even willing to be willing to be changed (meta-addicted?). As such he was unable to sincerely ask God to change him. He was also unable to sincerely ask God to make him willing to be changed. Namely, he was unable to sincerely ask God to deal with the addiction. But... he was able to sincerely ask God to make him willing to be willing to be changed. Namely, he was able to ask God to deal with the meta-addiction. One day he found he no longer wanted to smoke (both addiction and meta addiction were gone) and from that point on things were ok.

What I find fascinating was that the prayers to deal with the problem didn't appear to work but the prayers to deal with the meta-problem did. Imagine the following conversation between Our Lord and our soul...
Lord: have you changed?
Soul: nope (I sin)
Lord: are you willing to be changed?
Soul: nope (I am addicted to my sin)
Lord: are you willing to be willing to be changed?
Soul: nope (I am addicted to my addiction so I am meta addicted)
Lord: are you willing to be willing to be willing to be changed?
Soul: ummm.... yeah
Lord: great, I'll get started then

3 comments:

Dave King said...

More indirection :) Jesus is such a geek.

- Peace

Richard said...

To think that all this time...

The New Testament was originally written in Geek not Greek.

And what Jesus really said was "blessed are the geek" not "blessed are the meek".

No wonder I didn't do so well at Regent College...

ylmurph said...

I think I'm too dumb to understand this one...