Monday, June 13, 2005

I must be the luckiest geek in the world

At 9:45pm on Friday, all three kids were in bed, my mother and grandmother were home, and I realized I could take my wife on a date for the first time in ten months.

She wanted to see Revenge of the Sith (bless her heart) and we found a 10pm showing. We arrived at 10:05pm, they were still selling tickets, we walked in at 10:10pm and they were still showing trailers so we didnt miss anything. Wow! what a great movie. Though I do find one line said by Leia in Return of the Jedi problematic: "Just images really. She was very beautiful, but somehow sad"

One of the trailers began with "Marvel comics presents...". I thought to myself: "X-men 3? Spiderman 3?". Then my heart swelled in nervous yet hopeful anticipation when I heard the words "cosmic radiation". Could it be? Could my favorite comic book characters be coming to the big screen? Is this just wishful thinking? Then the doubts dissolved when I heard the line "there goes Reed, always stretching..." - the Fantastic Four!

The special effects for Mr. Fantastic, the Invisible Woman, and the Human Torch looked great. I was disappointed in Aunt-Petunia's favorite nephew, the ever-lovin' blue-eyed Thing. I must say his rocky exterior looked more like cheap pillows than a rock hard carapace - he looked way better in the comic books...

6 comments:

kris said...

I got lucky on the weekend as well. I was supposed to see another movie using a pass, but they don't take passes on Sat. so I got to see Star Wars.

Dave, what were you referring to when you said, "Lucas has a great take on the Knowledge of Good and Evil"? (I hope this isn't a spoiler) Do you mean the fact that the Dark Side can help one overcome death?

IMO the worst part was the "George of the Jungle" joke involving the wookies (sp?).

Richard said...

Warning....

potential

spoilers

ahead

stop

scrolling

down

if

you

have

not

seen

Episode

III

Revenge

of

the

Sith

yet.


I was impressed with how Lucas portrayed the corruption of Annakin Skywalker. It was very quick, but it seemed so believable. I found it a chilling reminder of how close all of us are to falling prey to the lies of darkness. It gives a concrete illustration of how "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". Perhaps also an implicit insight on why the Jedi should not marry.

I was a little unclear as to whether Kenobi thought Vader was dead. Yoda, Mace, Obiwan, and Palpatine do a great job. Annakin is a big improvement over episode II says my wife. Padme gets dealt a pretty lousy role in this movie, she had strength and charisma in the Phantom Menace.

The chemistry between Annakin and Padme falls pretty flat. More likely the produce Luke WarmWater than Luke Skywalker. Let's just say that overall, there's more romance in the dialogue between Artoo and Threepio.

Nav said...

Dave,

You are the coolest geek I know!

Dave King said...

Nav: Thanks :) Was going to say you need to meet more geeks, but then I remembered where you go to school.

Kris: The Emperor used logic that paralleled Satan in the garden of Eden. To become wise you must know evil. In out culture knowledge is always 'good', so many read Genesis as bunch of hicks reacting against knowledge.

I think it would make more sense after watching ep III.

- Peace

Richard said...

Nav, the reason Dave is the coolest geek is that he is only a borderline geek. (We can settle this claim with some tests)

Like Dave, I found that the Sith movie might help me explain Christian or Catholic positions on current issues. Priestly celibacy, capital punishment, euthanasia vs a natural death, the danger of unrepented sin, the difference between remorse and repentance, the sin of pride, cloning, fetal stem-cell research, vaccines from an aborted fetus.

And most of all, in the debate between principle based and results based ethics, this is one of the few fictional pieces (along with Lord of the Rings) that shows the importance of maintaining principles.

Star Trek, DragonLance, the Untouchables all advocated throwing away the crutch of ethical principles to achieve a "greater good" without showing the price one pays for doing this.

Dave King said...

Richard, theres no need to be insulting...

;)

- Peace