Friday, November 15, 2002

It was my 24th birthday last weekend (nov 9) and one of the gifts I received was a hooded sweatshirt. Pinned to it was a sticker that says crossfader. I had no idea what this meant. At first I thought maybe it was a skate or snowboard company or a band. I still don't what it's referring to. I later discovered that "The DJ mixer crossfader was originally developed as a control for implementing smooth fades from one program source to another". As I thought about the word crossfader I started to think that the Cross, that is supposed to give us hope, does seem to be fading. In a world that is filled with so many other things that we can preoccupy ourselves with, why look to the cross? The cross hasn't faded completely though. It can still be found around the necks of some of out favorite musicians and actors. The cross is no longer the place where Christ was hung to take on the sins of the world. The cross is now a cool piece of jewelry, or a nifty tattoo. However, when you look at the word crossfader in relation to the DJ mixer crossfader it applies to how we should live as Christians. I don't believe that we should flip our "Christian switch" on and off depending on where we are. A lot of us turn on the switch when we go to church or are with our Christian friends and for some reason switch it off afterwards. This shouldn't happen. We should be able to move smoothly from one scenario to another, living as completely sold out Christians.

No comments: