Wednesday, July 24, 2002

Last night I heard something that gave me a little "wake up call". I was watching a program last night and someone used the expression, "Remember who you are and what you represent". I've heard that before but it never really sunk in until now.

The people I work with know that I'm a Christian and that I attend weekly worship gatherings. But when I take a look at things I've said and done, I realize that I haven't really been a good example of what I "claim" to be.

I'm not sure if deep down I'm ashamed of Christianity or if I'm just weak. I think it's a little of both. It's not easy being a Christian today. Especially when there are so many temptations out there. I know the "bastard from below" is trying his hardest to get me to screw up and sometimes I do screw up.

I say that I think I'm ashamed of Christianity but that's not really true. I'm not ashamed of Christ or Christianity. I am embarrased by the way some "Christians" totally mess up what Christianity is supposed to be all about. But I guess I shouldn't point my finger or cast stones because I'm not perfect either. Like I said, I find it very difficult "remembering who I am and what I represent".

I really wonder if Christ is pleased with what we are doing down here. Are we "doing" church the way it is meant to be done? As followers of Christ are we really following Christ or are we following man? Do we worship God or do we worship worship? I don't know how many times I've heard kids say, "Oh, I can't wait to worship". What do you mean "wait" to worship? You don't wait to worship, you just worship. And now with the Pope being over here I really wonder what the hype is all about. He's just a guy. I was blown away at the number of youth who have flocked to see the Pope. Again, are we following Christ or man? It really scares me that it's a huge deal that an old guy has come to Canada. He's not God. God is God.

Ok, I better stop now before things get out of hand. Father forgive me if I'm wrong about some things. I'm still learning. You've still got a LOT to teach me. Amen.

Steve

No comments: